• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

New TV Series to watch

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Just started watching Humans on AMC. 2 episodes in and I'm intrigued, have another to watch before they air a new one. So far a handful of synthetic slavebots seem to have developed consciousness and they are being hunted by a group of humans who fear they represent the singularity. Definitely worth giving a shot if you like sci-fi.

Started watching season 3 of Under the Dome because I liked season 1 and I toughed out season 2, but my god was that first episode unwatchable. Just couldn't do it, the wheels have fallen off of the dome.

I'm at least half way through agents of shield S1, definitely feeling a new level of nerdom coming on while researching episodes haha.

What's it about?

Peaky Blinders is a gangster family epic set in Birmingham, England in 1919, just after the First World War. The story centres on the historic Peaky Blinders gang[1] and their ambitious and highly dangerous boss Tommy Shelby (played by Cillian Murphy). The gang comes to the attention of Chief Inspector Chester Campbell (played by Sam Neill), a detective in the Royal Irish Constabulary sent over from Belfast (where he'd been sent to clean up the city of the IRA, gangs, and common criminals). Winston Churchill (played by Andy Nyman in series 1 and Richard McCabe in series 2) charged him with suppressing fomenting disorder and uprising in Birmingham and recovering a stolen cache of arms meant to be shipped to Libya.[2][3][4][5][6]

Tom Hardy plays a major character in the second season

Peaky Blinders took me a couple tries to get into. But Season 2 was really good.

Looking forward to Season 3.

Started watching season 3 of Under the Dome because I liked season 1 and I toughed out season 2, but my god was that first episode unwatchable. Just couldn't do it, the wheels have fallen off of the dome.

I thought the first season was godawful too. They took all that was good about the book and threw it out in favor of absolute stupidity. Under the Dome really shouldn't have been a series. It should have been a mini-series. It also should not have been on network television, because they had to dumb it down and censor it, as evidenced by the fact that the crazy kid with the tumor didn't kill his girlfriend in the first episode (or, as far as I know, at all...I think she was still alive after eight to ten episodes when I stopped watching).

Part of what made the book so great was how quickly everything went to hell when the dome came down, and you just can't really portray that when you're trying to milk multiple seasons out of a fucking show.

I thought the first season was godawful too. They took all that was good about the book and threw it out in favor of absolute stupidity. Under the Dome really shouldn't have been a series. It should have been a mini-series. It also should not have been on network television, because they had to dumb it down and censor it, as evidenced by the fact that the crazy kid with the tumor didn't kill his girlfriend in the first episode (or, as far as I know, at all...I think she was still alive after eight to ten episodes when I stopped watching).

Part of what made the book so great was how quickly everything went to hell when the dome came down, and you just can't really portray that when you're trying to milk multiple seasons out of a fucking show.

There's a show on Netflix that takes a similar concept, and while it definitely has its flaws, does it much better than Under the Dome. It's called Between. It's only a few episodes in but I watch it when new episodes come out every week.

I also like Peaky Blinders. One of those random 'what's this?' Finds that turned out alright.

There's another show on Netflix that looked promising called Residue. It stars Ramsay Bolton and Osha the wildling and that made me give it a shot but after 2 episodes I'm not impressed. Anyone seen this yet?

There's a show on Netflix that takes a similar concept, and while it definitely has its flaws, does it much better than Under the Dome. It's called Between. It's only a few episodes in but I watch it when new episodes come out every week.

I also like Peaky Blinders. One of those random 'what's this?' Finds that turned out alright.

There's another show on Netflix that looked promising called Residue. It stars Ramsay Bolton and Osha the wildling and that made me give it a shot but after 2 episodes I'm not impressed. Anyone seen this yet?

All six episodes for Between are up now. Not really sure what I think of it. I do wish that a couple of the actors in it were also over 22 so they could die off. Some of the acting is pretty weak. It held my interest for the most part. But, seemed like the episodes got weaker as the season went on. Though, I'd still watch another season if they end up making one.

Tried watching Residue. Got about halfway through the first episode when other things to do felt like a better use of my time. I wanted to like it, but, it just didn't draw me in at all.

I've watched the first two episodes of Mr. Robot, now, and I have no fucking idea what is going on. Show is pretty good though. Reminds me of Inception-style movies.

Going through season two of Arrow right now. It's definitely a major step up from season one. Probably because the villain is much more interesting. Still not quite as good as Daredevil, but definitely closer to that quality.

A shame that I've heard the third season kind of sucks.

As a pretty big Arrow fan, the third does suck dogs balls. It's actually awfully lazy writing and lacks intensity and engagement. I actually asked Paul Blackthorne about this the other day (plays Office Lance and was in Australia) and it kind of caught him off guard and caused him to stumble through a pretty generic respose.

On another note, I also highly recommend Daredevil as per what @Marcus said. Just sensational television, and a brilliantly dark adaption on a classic comic tale.

What does everything think of The Rock's "Ballers" so far, two episodes in?

And what's this "Mr. Robot" all about? Worth a watch? What kind of show is it similar too?

As a pretty big Arrow fan, the third does suck dogs balls. It's actually awfully lazy writing and lacks intensity and engagement. I actually asked Paul Blackthorne about this the other day (plays Office Lance and was in Australia) and it kind of caught him off guard and caused him to stumble through a pretty generic respose.

On another note, I also highly recommend Daredevil as per what @Marcus said. Just sensational television, and a brilliantly dark adaption on a classic comic tale.

What does everything think of The Rock's "Ballers" so far, two episodes in?

And what's this "Mr. Robot" all about? Worth a watch? What kind of show is it similar too?

I've enjoyed Mr. Robot so far, although I think they're trying to hammer home the whole "fuck society" thing a little too much. Almost feels like the bastard child of Fight Club in that sense.

Arrow was a pretty big disappointment for season 3. A couple of characters take steps forward in that they finally start to become their heroic alter egos, but this season was weak compared to the one before it. Manu Bennett was just brilliant as Deathstroke. Minor season 3 spoilers below (they only deal with what major villains appear in season 3):

Deathstroke is just much more interesting than Ra's al Ghul in this show, honestly. I wish they could have done more with Brickwell, too. Vinnie Jones was the perfect guy to be cast in that role but they only did like three episodes with him. What the hell?

I've enjoyed Mr. Robot so far, although I think they're trying to hammer home the whole "fuck society" thing a little too much. Almost feels like the bastard child of Fight Club in that sense.

Arrow was a pretty big disappointment for season 3. A couple of characters take steps forward in that they finally start to become their heroic alter egos, but this season was weak compared to the one before it. Manu Bennett was just brilliant as Deathstroke. Minor season 3 spoilers below (they only deal with what major villains appear in season 3):

Deathstroke is just much more interesting than Ra's al Ghul in this show, honestly. I wish they could have done more with Brickwell, too. Vinnie Jones was the perfect guy to be cast in that role but they only did like three episodes with him. What the hell?

Thanks for the info on Mr. Robot. I might give it a go for a few episodes and see what I think from there.

Funny you mentioned Vinnie Jones and Brick. When I was at Paul Blackthorne's talk the other day, he spoke about when he was told who the producers had cast as Brick.

Producers - Vinnie is playing Brick
Paul - Who's Vinnie?
Producers - You know, Vinnie Jones. Your favourite football player!
Paul - Vinnie fucking Jones!? Are you kidding me!?

Apparently he spent everyday on set telling him how he was at the FA Cup Final watching him like 20 something years ago and was fan-boying for the whole time lol

But I agree, Brick was a great character. Arrow has this problem (similar to Gotham and The Flash) whereby they introduce great characters for an episode or 2 and then completely dismiss their existence for all episodes thereafter. IMO, that's what Daredevil does great - by focusing on a specific villain for an entire season, you get a structured drama with concise character development and evolution). And I have no idea why Ra's was such a shit character. Maybe because he's more Batman-oriented in the eyes of the average viewer? Just wasn't sold by his character or his story. It was all nonsense - the fact that he wanted Oliver to take over etc. there were a good 4-5 question marks with regards to how the major plot points of the story were told.

Speaking of plot holes.. Oliver is suppose to have an illegitimate child somewhere, is he not? On any other show, that would be a huge deal. On Arrow, it counts as a filler episode. Those are the kind of things that suck to me as a viewer. When writer's write crescendo story-points for nothing more than ratings, ignoring the creative concept of story-telling with the idea or writing 'big bang heart-stoppers' over said tailored story-telling.

Thanks for the info on Mr. Robot. I might give it a go for a few episodes and see what I think from there.

Funny you mentioned Vinnie Jones and Brick. When I was at Paul Blackthorne's talk the other day, he spoke about when he was told who the producers had cast as Brick.

Producers - Vinnie is playing Brick
Paul - Who's Vinnie?
Producers - You know, Vinnie Jones. Your favourite football player!
Paul - Vinnie fucking Jones!? Are you kidding me!?

Apparently he spent everyday on set telling him how he was at the FA Cup Final watching him like 20 something years ago and was fan-boying for the whole time lol

But I agree, Brick was a great character. Arrow has this problem (similar to Gotham and The Flash) whereby they introduce great characters for an episode or 2 and then completely dismiss their existence for all episodes thereafter. IMO, that's what Daredevil does great - by focusing on a specific villain for an entire season, you get a structured drama with concise character development and evolution). And I have no idea why Ra's was such a shit character. Maybe because he's more Batman-oriented in the eyes of the average viewer? Just wasn't sold by his character or his story. It was all nonsense - the fact that he wanted Oliver to take over etc. there were a good 4-5 question marks with regards to how the major plot points of the story were told.

Speaking of plot holes.. Oliver is suppose to have an illegitimate child somewhere, is he not? On any other show, that would be a huge deal. On Arrow, it counts as a filler episode. Those are the kind of things that suck to me as a viewer. When writer's write crescendo story-points for nothing more than ratings, ignoring the creative concept of story-telling with the idea or writing 'big bang heart-stoppers' over said tailored story-telling.

I can only hope that it will be something that is explored in detail come season 4. They can't possibly have a plot detail like that and not go further into it.

Ra's was just such a flat character in this show. The other main villains that Oliver dealt with (Merlyn and Deathstroke) had actual personalities to them, that really brought the characters to life. Ra's was just... Ra's. He just felt like a generic villain that slipped through the cracks and ended up being the main villain for the third season, and everyone just kinda went with it because they didn't have any better options at the time.

Also, I wonder how much further they are going to pursue a storyline with Palmer, since Atom is supposed to be getting a spinoff show, as well.

I can only hope that it will be something that is explored in detail come season 4. They can't possibly have a plot detail like that and not go further into it.

Ra's was just such a flat character in this show. The other main villains that Oliver dealt with (Merlyn and Deathstroke) had actual personalities to them, that really brought the characters to life. Ra's was just... Ra's. He just felt like a generic villain that slipped through the cracks and ended up being the main villain for the third season, and everyone just kinda went with it because they didn't have any better options at the time.

Also, I wonder how much further they are going to pursue a storyline with Palmer, since Atom is supposed to be getting a spinoff show, as well.

Palmer is my other bug-bear. I try to have no gripe with DC pushing their agenda, but I signed on to watch 'Arrow,' a superhero television show about a rich playboy who comes back from the dead to right his father's wrongs. If you gave that synopsis to someone watching season 3, they'd look at you funny. I don't care all that much for added superhero's and while I understand that this is how it is in the comic world, I personally lose a sense of realism in the setting of the show because of this.

Guessing Palmer will appear sporadically in season 4, much like the Flash has. Do we know much about next season's villain? All I know, and this is per Paul Blackthorne again, is that Officer Lance gets himself a love interest. But other than that, seems to be under wraps.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance